Here are the top upgrades for the highest return for your home in Phoenix Scottsdale.
1. Repairs and refreshing. This is where the smartest money is. Maintenance and deferred repairs. New interior and exterior paint, leaky roof and antiquated plumbing. Caulking around the water area rooms. You just can't keep those secret from a home inspector or appraiser.
2. Remodeling beats adding on. Large additions just don't pay-off. Go for quality over quantity. Having a big formal living room plus an everyday family room is less desirable than one-multi use common space. Don't add on square footage. Rather, re-purpose existing square footage by re-configuring the floor plan. Knock down walls between the dining room and the kitchen - it makes the house look bigger.
3. Use eco-friendly upgrades. Install energy efficient features such as energy-star appliances, water-saving efficient plumbing fixtures, the newer light bulbs, a much better upgraded HVAC system, and insulation.
4. Add technology infrastructures. But not cool gadgets that quickly go obsolete. Built-in wireless systems, instant hot water systems and Bluetooth-enabled intelligent home thermostats that work off your smartphone is so much better than a home theater system.
5. Keep up with the Joneses. Always keep your house's amenities in line with the neighborhood. Otherwise, you become less desirable. Upgrade the kitchen appliances, the washer/dryer, replace the old HVAC system, and refresh your kitchen cabinets.
6. Front and back-yard. Make sure the curb appeal is top notch and the backyard pleasant and inviting. The first impression is from the curb. The backyard is where you entertain.
6. The new payback is 5 years. Don't spend big money unless you plan to stay at least 3 to 5 years. The longer your time frame, the lower the risk. If you plan to stay for a while, don't delay starting a project.
Richard Bazinet - Realty ONE Group - Phoenix Scottsdale Real Estate